Monday, April 15, 2013

Favorite Foreign Films

Something wonderful that Tyler (my boyfriend) has introduced me to is a wide range of movies, including foreign films.  We chose to watch these based on their popularity and critical acclaim.  Each one of them I fell in love with in a different way.  I think there is something here for every type of movie-goer.  These are my personal opinions of these films and are 100% subjective.

To some of you these may just be "films" (: depending on your respective countries of origin and the languages you speak.  I, however, have to use subtitles.  For those of you that speak English or other, I encourage you to watch regardless of having to read all the dialogue.  The overall messages of the movies are well worth it.

Amelie (2001)


The poster contains the original title of this film that was made and spoken in French.  Overall this movie has a really quirky vibe.  If you like laughing this one's for you (:  It has some adult content but it's nothing too out there.  Amelie is an endearing character who is too cute for words!

City of God (2002)


City of God is a very heavy movie as its based on true events although the story line followed throughout the film is fiction.  This movie is based during the 60s and 70s in Rio de Janiero and follows a group of friends from childhood to adulthood.  It's rated R for "strong brutal violence, sexuality, drug content and language" and I definitely agree that younger audiences shouldn't watch this movie.  Regardless, City of God is beautiful and I became very involved in the characters.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)


Pan's takes place during the 1940s in Spain and tells the story of a young girl and her mother.  It's filmed in Spanish and is an adaptation of  a Grimm's Fairy tale I believe.  This one is a tearjerker for sure, but personally I love those!  It also has an ending that will leave you wondering so if you like to "decide your own" then you'll love this.  As a child this film would have scared me to death though!

Check these films out and decide for yourself if they're a favorite (:

What are your thoughts on these foreign films or others? Any suggestions?

7 comments :

  1. I think we have the same movie taste! Amelie is one of my favorite movies, and I loved Pan's Labyrinth. I rented City of God, but the DVD was scratched and it stopped midway through, so I never saw the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow we really do! Definitely finish City of God if you ever get the chance too (:

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I went to the cafe where Amelie was filmed when I went to Paris!! Forgot to mention that. I think I will give City of God another shot. Someone in one of my classes was just talking about it, too.

      Delete
    3. That is so cool! Definitely jealous that you've been to Paris... It's always been one of my dreams (: Maybe someday!

      Delete
  2. I love amelie, the soundtrack is absolutely beautiful, amazing!
    have you seen intouchables? thats a very popular french film :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it but I've heard of it... Just added it to my watch list on IMDb. Thanks for the suggestion! (:

      Delete
  3. I love Amélie! <3



    I wish you an amazing week!! :) xx
    Please check out my latest article on

    SearchingforLBD.com

    VOTE FOR MY LOOK

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...