Monday, April 8, 2013

Some Of My Top Picks from IMDB

I am not now nor have I ever been a movie expert.  I've always enjoyed watching movies and have had my fair share of opinions, but I'm in no-way-shape-or-form a "movie buff".

I do, however, keep an IMDb account and rate movies that I've seen in the past as well as those I've seen currently.  It seems I've racked up quite the list (374 titles) so I thought it might be fun to share some of my favorites with you.

Tyler, my boyfriend, has been a huge influence in this department as well because he IS a movie buff.  His collection is constantly growing and at last count included 265-odd movies.  He is always ordering more and that number isn't encompassing much outside of our apartment either.  We have them all stuffed in our tiny TV stand  categorized by genre and director.  Isn't that so adorable (:

So anyway... most of my 10 ratings are for Disney movies and the Harry Potter series out of loyalty and childhood affection.  Mostly what I'll be sharing my 9s.  I don't have a very sophisticated rating system but I try to be fair.  Keep in mind these are all my opinions and 100% subjective!

Black Swan (2010) - 10/10


I saw this movie when it was in theaters because I was so excited I couldn't wait.  However beautiful it is it gave me the heebijeebies!  Really though, the reason I loved this movie was how much it affected me while watching.  The main story is Natalie Portman's character going on this crazy journey into her new-found womanhood, and it's very intense.

Les Miserables (2012) - 9/10


We watched this movie in theaters on our quest to watch every Best Picture nominee for the Oscars.  Can you say tearjerker!?  I bawled multiple times throughout this movie, but that's how I know I really love it.  Kinda funny thing I have -- I like watching moves that make me cry.  The singing in Les Mis is live (amazing) and the cast did a fantastic job with their characters.  Also, it's a classic Broadway play.   Must see!

Life of Pi (2012) - 9/10


I was so skeptical going into this movie.  Happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised!  Whatever religion you practice or if you don't practice at all, I think this movie speaks to an underlying desire that every human has: hope.  The aesthetics of Life of Pi are absolutely stunning.  After watching I decided that one day I will name a cat of mine Richard Parker (:

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - 9/10


I couldn't find any good quality pics for this movie because I feel like nobody watched it.  Which makes me sad because it's one of the cutest movies I have probably ever seen.  The entire movie definitely has a unique and quirky vibe.  It's set in the 1960s and follows the adventure of two teen-aged loves.  Overall the movie is so precious you'll fall in love instantly.

American Beauty (1999) - 9/10


American Beauty is one of my favorites movies, and this poster is hanging on the wall in our living room.  The content is definitely adult and I'm not really sure how it got out of an NC-17 rating.  Despite all that I think that this movie is gorgeous in so many ways.  Also I am a sucker for plot twists so this is right up my alley.  If you haven't seen it and want to check it out, be prepared for a lot of graphic themes/content.

Well I think that's enough for now.  Scrolling through my list I realize that there's sooooo many movies I want to share but I also have a strong desire to make this a reasonable length.  

Thanks so much for reading!  Hope this was a good change of pace.

What are you thoughts on these movies?

9 comments :

  1. Thanks again,for the follow.^^
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    Lovely greets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent yet seen Black Swan and Les Mis. Also I watched Moonlight Kingdom last week and I found it realllyyy weird and slightly boring haha

    http://seasidebeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how you would find it a little boring! And definitely weird haha. I just love that director's style. He also did the Royal Tenenbaums and the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou which I really enjoyed (:

      Delete
  3. Thanks again,for the follow.^^
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    lovely greets

    ReplyDelete
  4. American Beauty is one of my favorite movies! I've seen all the rest except for Moonrise Kingdom--it didn't stay in theatres very long. Black Swan was intense, and I love Natalie Portman!

    www.ameliorerlavie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post!!! would you like to follow each other with GFC and Bloglovin?
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, followed you on both (:

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your visit! I follow you too!!
      Have a nice day!!!:)))

      Delete
    3. and my like in bloglovin too!!!♥

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...